Friday, January 26, 2007

I'm a Music Snob

I have come to the conclusion recently, that I am completely snobby about the type of music I listen too. Not to say that the music I listen too is even all that great, or that I think everyone should listen to it, but I do as most people do, like my brand of music much better than other people's music. I really just shoot other people's music down without even giving it a chance most of the time, which is something I don't think is extremely necessary to listen to other peoples music, but I felt that maybe i should try a couple new things. So, I took some recommendations from my room mates and listened to some new things, that I wouldn't normally listen too. First off, my friend Kyle keeps raving about this band called "The Decemberists". A five member band that is the definition of indie rock, and uses there music to tell some obscure stories. The music is very slow and just laid back, and after a first listen to their CD "The Crane Wife" I was not too impressed, but it really did start to grow on me. Usually a band like this is way to slow to grab my attention, but this particular ensemble really did strike a chord with me, and I am a true fan now. The other record I listened to was from a recommendation by my other roommate Matt. We have both been fans of a hardcore band called "Alexisonfire", whose music is very heavy. So, when Matt informed me that the lead vocalist started his own side project entitled "City and Colour" I was pretty excited to hear it, until he then informed me that it was just Dallas Green (lead vocalist from Alexisonfire) just playing an acoustic guitar and playing a very mellow, emotional style of music. However, I still gave it a chance, and after a couple listens, I really fell into this C.D. Green does everything right in this side project, his vocals are spectacular, and he really bares his soul in his lyrics, and it is like you can really relate to and feel bad for all the things he is going through, it really is something special, and it is a shame that he has not gained more of a solid fan base for this particular project. So, I actually made myself try some new things and listen to some music that I would not normally listen too, and I actually thoroughly enjoyed myself, and through this I hope i can be more tolerable to other peoples preferred music that enjoy listening too.



For more Info on The Decemberists or City and Colour, I have included links to their websites
http://www.decemberists.com/
http://cityandcolour.ca/

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Justin, This is Dana, anyways I love the Decemberists, and if you liked that new album you should listen to the album Her Majesty, The Decemberists-- I think it is much better than Crane Wife-- but that is just my opinion-- seriously though-- you gotta check out that album.

Katie D said...

I can semi-relate to being a "music snob", but instead, I'm going to say that I'm just a little picky. There are lots of bands out there that I totally respect and think are way talented, but personally, I just don't like listening to them on my own time. I do, however, definitely feel it's necessary to have an open-mind when it comes to music because there is just sooooo much out there! One of the bands I've been recently listening to non-stop is Matt Pond PA. If you are ever in the mood for some real chill, unique music--check out their myspace! These guys are awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/mattpondpa
("So Much Trouble" is one of my favs)

Cool1097 said...

Haha, okay, now I know that Kyle likes burping and The Decemberists. And girls. Anyways, that's kinda cool that you listen to a lot of music, I really don't get many chances to do that, because of my packed schedule. I only listen to the radio when I'm in the dining hall. I have two radios in my dorm room, but I don't spend much time in there doing a lot, because I'm out doing stuff or sleeping. Anyways, I should probably do that soon, lol. Keep having an open mind, it's a great way to get to know more stuff!